At Carnagill School, our curriculum is built around the attitudes and values of independence, curiosity, aspiration, commitment, kindness and pride. Our school motto of ‘Inspiring Bright Futures Together’ demonstrates our commitment to developing the whole child so that they can succeed in life.
At Carnagill School, we believe that the curriculum we offer our children will:
- Have high quality and engaging learning opportunities
- Be practical and provide real life experiences
- Develop the whole child – social, emotional, moral and spiritual development
- Develop an understanding of their place in their community and in the world
- Be knowledge and skills based which will prepare the children for life
- Create a lifelong love of learning
The wider curriculum is implemented through a themed approach on a half termly basis. English and high quality texts lead the curriculum intent and are implemented in an inspiring way to maximise engagement of children.
Key features of our implementation are as follows:
- ‘Big questions’ focus planning and individual lessons
- Themes incorporate appropriate curriculum areas
- Links are explicitly made to pupils’ experiences and their place in the world and community
- Knowledge is a focus in all lessons and planning ensures that children evidence this learning
- Vocabulary development in each lesson enables children to use the appropriate vocabulary when sharing their new learning.
- Basic skills are developed and modelled in all lessons
- Practical experiences, including the outdoors, is used effectively to make the learning relevant
- Effective talk and inspiring experiences promote deeper thinking
Wider curriculum books demonstrate a sequence of learning that shows the development of knowledge, the application of this and deep thinking. Children are enthused and inspired and are keen to share their learning with others; discussing their knowledge acquisition and describing how this can be used effectively in other subject areas.
Please see our whole school curriculum overview for more details.
For information about the school curriculum, please contact the school office.