Leave of Absence

Dfe regulations state that holidays taken during term time will not be authorised as it can severely disrupt your child’s education.

You must get permission from the head teacher if you wish to take your child out of school during term time. You can only do this if you make an application to the head teacher in advance (as a parent the child normally lives with) and there are exceptional circumstances. Each application will be considered individually by the school.

The following are examples of the criteria for leave of absence, which may be considered as ‘exceptional’:

  • Service personnel returning from active deployment
  • Where inflexibility of the parents’ leave or working arrangement is part of the organisational or company policy. This would need to be evidenced by the production or confirmation from the organisation/company
  • Where leave is recommended as part of a parents’ or child’s rehabilitation from medical or emotional problems. Evidence must be provided
  • When a family needs to spend time together to support each other during or after a crisis

Carnagill parents leave of absence application for leave form

For more information, please read our Attendance policy.