The Pupil Premium is additional funding given to schools so that they can support their disadvantaged pupils and close the attainment gap between them and their peers. Pupils from Service families attract this funding at the level of £310 per child.
This money is to be used to support pupils’ emotional needs, for example during times of parental deployment or during a move to, or away from, our school.
The government believes that head teachers and school leaders should decide how to use the pupil premium. They are held accountable for the decisions they make through:
- the performance tables which show the performance of disadvantaged pupils compared with their peers
- the Ofsted inspection framework, under which inspectors focus on the attainment of pupil groups, and in particular those who attract the pupil premium
- the reports for parents that schools have to publish online.
The funding is carefully targeted at pupils and is used to support service pupils to achieve the highest levels. Appropriate provision is put in place which is most likely to improve outcomes. This provision may include:
- Learning Mentor role
- Additional Teaching Assistant time and resources for targeted intervention programmes
- Providing pastoral care
- Resources which will specifically help these pupils
- Support at lunchtimes/with making friends
- Staff CPD
- Parental support
- Transition support to secondary school
- Accessing guidance and support from external agencies
- Use of electronic communication (Seesaw) to contact family members on deployment
- Subsidising extracurricular activities or school visits
- Additional Administrator time to support transition
Progress of pupils is carefully monitored by all staff, the Head Teacher and governors and analysis of data is rigorous.
Our Service Pupil Premium Leader is Sarah Bradshaw and the link Governor is Grahame Shepherd.
The pupil premium statement is updated annually and agreed by the Local Governing Body. The DFE template is used and combines, disadvantaged pupil premium, service pupil premium and recovery/catch up premium.
Pupil Premium Strategy Statement 2022-23