At Carnagill, good mental health and well-being is our top priority as we believe children will only thrive academically when they feel safe and secure. From the moment they enter our school site every morning, staff are on hand to welcome, to support and reassure. The strong relationships this creates are paramount to establishing the trust and confidence that someone will always be there to listen.
Our Learning Mentor and Nurture Room provide time and space to talk either in small groups or one-to-one, and work is planned to help children develop the skills they need to begin to regulate themselves.
As always, if there is anything we can do to support you, please do not hesitate to get in touch.
To find out more, read our Mental Health and Well-being policy.
Our Mental Health and Wellbeing lead is Louise Newport and our Mental Health and Wellbeing champion is Sarah Bradshaw.
Thrive is a social and emotional development model that looks at a young person’s needs and provides responses and activities to engage them. At the core of this is the recognition of the significance of positive relationships and the impact connection can have on children and young people’s emotional health and future wellbeing.
Carnagill will be a Thrive School from September 2021 with all staff trained to support children using this approach.
Find out more at the Thrive website by clicking here.
- An excellent toolkit of resources for coronavirus and mental health: https://www.mentallyhealthyschools.org.uk/resources/coronavirus-resources-for-mental-health-and-wellbeing/
- Mind have comprehensive mental health resources for your own personal wellbeing, and also wellbeing in the workplace: https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/coronavirus-and-your-wellbeing/
- NHS – Health A-Z (Mental Health), a whole range of audio guides and signposting to mental health helplines, support groups and expert advice. The website also allows you to put in your local postcode to find out what resources are close to you: www.nhs.uk
- Public Health England & NHS Every Mind Matters website – generic health and wellbeing information linked to the NHS: www.nhs.uk/oneyou/every-mind-matters
- Samaritans – if you are worried about your mental health during the coronavirus outbreak: https://www.samaritans.org/how-we-can-help/support-and-information/if-youre-having-difficult-time/if-youre-worried-about-your-mental-health-during-coronavirus-outbreak/
For Parents and Pupils
- Government and DfE Mental Health Guidance: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-guidance-for-the-public-on-mental-health-and-wellbeing/
- Please also see: Support for pupils and parents – NYES
- https://www.thegoto.org.uk/ Healthy minds website for young people aged 18-25 and adults in North Yorkshire.
For Children / Young people
- NSPCC – Includes resources to support children with anxiety: nspcc.org.uk
- The Children’s Society: childrenssociety.org.uk
- Youth and wellbeing Directory: annafreud.org
- Take Time Out: youngminds.org.uk
- Support for Young People: themix.org.uk
- Action for Children mental health resources and information: www.actionforchildren.org.uk
- Childline mental health support and guidance: www.childline.org.uk
- Health Education England (in association with Young Minds have agreed a number of accessible on line modules) This is mainly for adults/family/carers in support of children’s mental health – free and accessible with no login required: www.minded.org.uk
- Local Children & Adolescent Mental Health (CAMHS) services: NHS local Access to Children & Young Peoples services: www.tewv.nhs.uk
- Charlie Waller Memorial Trust – Talking to children about feelings: Tips for parents and carers https://www.cwmt.org.uk/talking-about-feelings
- British Psychological Society – blogs, videos, webinars and advice on variety of issues that families might be experiencing due to Covid-19. https://www.bps.org.uk/coronavirus-resources/public
- These websites are excellent for supporting with bereavement: www.childbereavementuk.orgwww.childhoodbereavementnetwork.org.uk and www.winstonswish.org